Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Boy Code

DSCN8656

As I’m browsing Pinterest real quick before bed (which has obviously been put off now lol) I run across this pin that says “15 Things A Mom Should Teach Her Son.”

Since I have two sons already, plus one more with Mason on the way, this catches my eye. I mean hey, I need to know if I’m skipping out on teaching them something important. Right? Eh, maybe. I actually usually avoid things like these because, well, I won’t lie, I’m a tad outdated. lol

I remember when Zach was in K4 getting into an argument with his teacher about doors. (I bet some of you might be able to guess where this is going) If they weren’t in line, and Zach and one or more girls were going out of a doorway together, he always stopped to hold open the door. His teacher tried to tell him that he didn’t have to; he told her that oh yes he did, his mommy and daddy said so. When she brought this up to me my response was, well, yeah – that’s what we’ve taught him to do.

Back to the list I found through Pinterest – it actually wasn’t too bad.  I agree with most of it, my main dispute is with #12:

12. Condoms will save your life.

That pretty much goes against what we plan to teach them in regards to sex. Our sex talk – in regards to pregnancy is pretty well planned out already. Don’t have sex. There is nothing, except abstinence, that will guarantee that you won’t become a daddy. Condoms don’t always work – you two are proof of that. Birth control doesn’t always work either – Mason is the proof of that. So if you don’t want a baby – don’t put your penis in anyone until you’re ready for one. (And you know what, that takes care of STDs for the most part as well)

Here are a few things that I would add to that list though:

  1. You don’t ever treat a girl in a way that you wouldn’t want someone to treat your sister.
  2. Being a jerk to a girl is not going to make her fall for you – and if it does, trust me, you don’t want her.
  3. If someone is going through a door after you, hold it open for them. If someone holds the door open for you – say thank you.
  4. Always thank your wife for making you food or doing any housework.
  5. I taught you table manners and correct public behavior, use them, the rest of the world will appreciate it.
  6. Pay your bills, buy your groceries, tithe, and save a little. Only if you have something left after that do you waste the rest on something that you don’t really need or have to do.
  7. If there’s something you wouldn’t say in front of me you better not be saying it in public.
  8. Asking for help doesn’t make you weak, it makes you smart.
  9. There isn’t anything in this world that you are guaranteed or entitled to except for mine and your father’s love. Everything else you have to work for and earn.
  10. “For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you” – Matthew 7:2

There’s a few other things, but those are the main. And for those of you wondering what standards we hold Bella to. Well, I’ll have to think on that, and talk to John about it, and get back to you. lol She’s only 2 so we haven’t really talked to her about much of any of this yet.

So what about you? Do you agree with all on the original linked list? Do you have any things you would add to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment